Forum home Garden design

grass on concrete, and raising soil level around tree

2»

• Dougy.bDougy.b Posts: 11
    Obelixx said:
    Set up some bird feeders too and wait to see what comes.
    I have one small feeder at the moment and actually saw my first ever woodpecker this morning. So definitely more to come. 

Great advice from everyone. Thank you  
    The pond idea is definitely scrapped  didn't even think about the leaves in autumn . 
    The landlords have offered to pay for the rendering and the shed so far, they agree it all needs a lot of work (they bought it in this state)  
    I'm definitely keen on some raised beds but I can't quite picture it being right in the middle. 
    I should have mentioned, the kids are 10 and 13. So a big enough area for swing ball, a paddling pool (no one is too old for a paddling pool) and generally running around driving me mad etc.
    Artificial grass is something I had been thinking about, it may be my best option if I want a grassed area.

Lots to think about. 
    Think I'll mull it over with a beer on the weekend. 
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845
    Difficult space.  Go completely potty, and take them with you when you go.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,987
    1.  Bust up the concrete on the bottom layer to increase drainage, but don't remove (too much effort for someone else's garden).
    2.  Fill in the bottom layer with gravel covered by sand.
    3.  Pick out some quality fake grass to lay over the sand.. quality will look good and last for years.  Fake grass should be level with tier above it (third tier).  
    4. Area around tree is matched with third tier/grass, and sloped back towards tree so trunk is still at the same level.  Plant it up with some thrillers.  
    5.  Use sleepers to build a raised bed over the weird concrete areas next to the tiles, top level two sleepers high, so the other areas are deeper as it goes down tiers.  Line the bottom with fabric cloth to keep the soil from washing down, and fill with quality MP compost.  Plant up with a range of things suited for the depths.  
    6.  Get a nice set of outdoor chairs and a table for the third tier.  Decorate with a range of pots and favorite plants in the area between the doors against the house and wherever else needs 'greened' up.  

In such circumstances before, I've agreeded to do free labor if landlord paid for all materials.. and I had my choice in the final design.  I was reasonable with materials, and they were reasonable in paying.  You might see if they will cover the cost of some long lived perennials/small shrubs.  

As other's suggested, a good powerwash will make a world of difference too.  
    Utah, USA.
    Oh.. and try to make-do with just a bottom shed.. there isn't much space for the upper shed.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Dougy.bDougy.b Posts: 11
    Great suggestions Blue Onion. I think no 4 would end up with the soil being at a 45° angle in the other direction. But loving the rest. Especially 1-3
    The top shed is great as a tool shed whereas the one I wish to add at the bottom is to keep pushbikes and more importantly my motorbike. Although I do agree, removing the top shed would create a lot more space.
    Make the bottom shed a bit taller and add in shelves and plenty of hooks.  I keep my swimmer, pots, etc on shelves.  They could fit in above/around the motorbike.  Push bikes can hang too.  Or wall mounts with shelves above.  Slope the roof towards your yard and build for a living roof, which will visually add a nice bit of green there.  
    Utah, USA.