Can I do this now with;

Hydrangea
Berberis
Spiraea Japonica
Sage, mint, lavendar
Roses
Bay
Cotoneaster

Can it be done with trees too; cypress gold crest, cherry, blueberry?

Ive got a bunch of empty pots, and no desire to buy plants :)

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    I always have the desire to buy new plants.. but never the money! 💷💷💷
    Utah, USA.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 883
    My research says the hydrangea and sage could be done now.

Do I really have to wait until autumn for the others?
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    I find mint cuttings root very easily now, simply pop some new growth into small jars of water.
    Took some myself yesterday from chocolate and strawberry varieties.

Have never tried with any of the others you mention.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,366
    Advice given to me yesterday:

nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 90 ✭
    Joyce21 said:
    @nultyphilip, I am going to try your rose cutting/potato this year. When is the best time to take the cutting? 
    @Joyce21,..now is a good time with new soft branches starting,..and ones that have not got a rose bud forming,..dip the cutting in water then dip it in rooting powder or rooting gel,..make a small hole in the potato so the cutting fits in without removing the rooting powder or gel,..you can bury the potato or just make a dip in the soil so you can see the progress,..you will have a new rose bush before the end of this season.

This process must be catching on as it was mentioned on the Flower Show this week,..all three cuttings i took last year are now established bushes and in flower.
    SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,630
    Applemint certainly roots easily now. I cut some at mum intending to use it for mint sause. I left it in a jar of water in the windowsill , and in a week they had roots.  Others to do now are philadelphus and buddleja.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,463
    Now is a good time with new soft branches starting,..and ones that have not got a rose bud forming,..dip the cutting in water then dip it in rooting powder or rooting gel,..make a small hole in the potato so the cutting fits in without removing the rooting powder or gel..you can bury the potato or just make a dip in the soil so you can see the progress,..you will have a new rose bush before the end of this season.

I will certainly be giving this a go!. Thanks
    What’s the idea behind sticking it into a potato?  Some kind of Frankenstein’s graft?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    No.. I think the rotting potato provides moisture for the rose until it roots.  
    Utah, USA.
    **update**

i took about 12 cuttings of roses and potted them up with regular compost and rooting hormone.

I put them on shelving at the back of the garden in shade because the shed is too hot.

When I can back a few days later all bar one cutting was gone...who would nick these and how can I shelter them without them cooking in this heat?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,113
    Does it make a difference to the roses,as most are on grafted root stock.  Will the plants be less robust on there own roots?