Forum home Fruit & veg

Chelsea Chop

CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,394
Had a go at this for the first time this year.  "Done" some Phlox that always Flop and some Marguerites that always go brown at the bottom.  Would be interested to hear your experience if you've tried the Chelsea Chop and past pictures would be great to see.

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,394
    Sorry posted to wrong subject and don't know how to delete.  First time posting in new forum and so far finding it baffling.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,462
    It doesn't matter. Most people just look at latest posts anyway. :)
    I've done some chopping. I was a bit circumspect /cowardly last year but a bit braver this year. It works but check you're doing it on the right plants!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,632
    They work well for hardy Geraniums. It all depends on your soil and the amount of light for Geraniums. Ideal for early flowering types, and where your border has a lot of light which causes Geraniums to flower too early and finish flowering early. Cut back the section around the back of the border by half now, and leave the remaining half clump towards the front. Once that starts to fade, the back section will have grown fresh new leaves and start flowering in mid July again, and that will hide the front faded part as it grows over it. 

Also, useful for Sedums grown in rich soil. Cut back by half now and the stems will be more sturdy and less likely to split open in the middle. Also, flowering is delayed which is always a bonus for late summer.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,181
    edited June 2018
    I hacked back a few last week and the week before that. Helenium - phlox - helianthus - sedums and some others I can't think off. It the sedums specabilis I really go for, can't do with them splitting / flopping
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,899
    I'm always afraid to.  Although I might do it to the penstemon next year, as -yet again- they are too tall in a windy spot and are now sprawling all over the place.  
    Utah, USA.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,584
    I'm going to have a go with a eupatorium "chocolate" (I know they've changed the name, but l can never remember it). It tends to flop over the lawn and get in the way of important business of mowing apparently, so l thought I'd give it a try.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,982
    I was interested to hear Monty say on last week's GW that you should never do it to plants that are in bud/flower now - only ever for types that flower much later in the year. I was wondering if I should do my salvias, but it he says not.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,394
    Borderline, I have some lovely silvery geraniums with a very divided leaf and pretty droopy buds that are in a dry, hot position and they always go mad and look scruffy.  I don't mind scruffy (not a neat freak, I like a bit of exhuberance) but these are leggy looking and can be a bit flat so when they finish I'll chop them (off topic it won't be a Chelsea Chop) but I'm thinking next year that as soon as they start to come to life, I'll get creative, thanks for the inspiration. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,899
    edited June 2018
    Fire said:
    I was interested to hear Monty say on last week's GW that you should never do it to plants that are in bud/flower now - only ever for types that flower much later in the year. 
    Not my penstemon I guess then.   Maybe I ought to just get around to ringing them with wire earlier.  They look so lovely and unrestricted, the  whoosh.. they are flopped over all their neighbors.  
    Utah, USA.