Forum home Plants

Foxgloves and Delphiniums

Does anyone know if these two will flower again this summer if I cut them back when they have finished this first flowering?  They are looking stunning and I would like to get a second flowering if I can.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,007
    Foxgloves are usually biennial and die after they've flowered and set seed but if you cut the main flower stem soon enough they sometimes produce a few shorter stems of flowers.  The other thing would be to keep the main stem and let it produce seeds which will germinate and grow and then you'll have more for free next year.

Delphiniums are perennials and will produce more, shorter stems if you remove the spent stem of flowers.  They will return next year and produce another good flower stem so no need to save seed unless you want more plants for free - tho they won't necessarily be the same colour as the parent plant. 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you.  The plants are a couple of years old and are really strong and healthy and the bees love them.  I didn't want to damage them for next year.