Forum home Wildlife gardening

Are these eggs, and if so, whose?

I've just noticed these on a north-facing fence, though they may have been there any length of time.  They are about the size of poppy seeds, and though the picture makes them look grey-green, they're really beige, and each has a dark spot facing outwards.  Insects usually lay eggs on something the larvae can eat, but I would have thought wood-borers would lay their eggs inside their tunnels, where the eggs and larvae are safe from predators.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Best guess, based on the pattern, would be some kind of butterfly or moth.  I've had eggs on the washing line before, so they don't always lay on a plant leaf or stem.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582
    I don’t know what they are but on my iPad they are the most gorgeous shade of turquoise or aqua. 
    I don’t suppose it could be a fungus or lichen? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253
    Blue here too. I'd guess at a moth.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,461
    I'll let you know if they hatch.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    Kitty 2 said:
    Best guess, based on the pattern, would be some kind of butterfly or moth.  I've had eggs on the washing line before, so they don't always lay on a plant leaf or stem.
    Moth I think. I had the same as you with eggs appearing on my washing line. The caterpillars hatched and abseiled down to the ground leaving tiny bubblewrap behind.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668
    Is this a sign of the adults just not being able to find suitable food plants for their larvae on which to lay their eggs?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582
    What a sad thought Dove, would be nice to know what they are so we can remedy that.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    @wild edges it was quite a few years ago but mine looked the same as your photo. Had to peg around the nursery for a bit.  Didn't see the hatching though.

@Dovefromabove Are you saying that they are moth/butterfly eggs? You're clever with 'bug stuff'.
    I was just guessing.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    Is this a sign of the adults just not being able to find suitable food plants for their larvae on which to lay their eggs?

From the way they disperse I'd assumed that the egg layer just wanted a high open place so that the caterpillars can catch the wind with their threads and get carried further away, similar to spider babies. If they're general feeders then it makes sense to do it that way rather than lay several clutches of a few eggs on specific food plants. I need to do more research though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668
    Kitty 2 said:
    @wild edges it was quite a few years ago but mine looked the same as your photo. Had to peg around the nursery for a bit.  Didn't see the hatching though.

@Dovefromabove Are you saying that they are moth/butterfly eggs? You're clever with 'bug stuff'.
    I was just guessing.

Pretty certain they are ... we've had similar photos in other years and that's been the informed opinion.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh