Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hw do we move him on?

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
This gorgeous little chap has decided to try and nest above our back door.  He has been in the kitchen 3 times    He is a danger to himself as we have lighting and wires where he is determined to go. We have tried positioning the fake pheasant, hung cds up but to no effect.
I have never know so many swallows as we have this year.  He must have been the last to arrive as all the regular spots in outhouses are taken! I don’t want to hurt him but I need to open the door!!!
Any bird experts?
Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,189
    Put up some extra bird boxes for swallows, somewhere safe?
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    Will a swallow use a tit box? It’s the only thing I have empty at the moment
    A A Milne
    I shouldn't think so, but you can order swallow nests online for £10.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,461
    Once the nest in built they shouldn't come in the house. He's probably just hoping for a better spot indoors. Can you use something like those dangly bead curtains for now to deter him flying in? Or chuck up a fake nest to give him a head start?
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for your good ideas, I will try them all! He is so tame it’s amazing. Never known a swallow eyeball me!
    A A Milne
    edited June 2018
    I would personally put up a few, or the odds of him taking up the residential options would be too narrow. Add some large, neon arrows too.

Ha ha! Good idea!

A A Milne