Forum home Plants

Unknown flower in garden please help

I have found a plant in my garden and have absolutely know idea what it is, I've searched and searched but still have no idea. It has large green leaves a bit like tomato but not and tiny yellow flowers with four petals, in clusters in the centre of the plant. Please help I'm fascinated to know what it is. It appeared when we started our veg patch. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,875
    mustard flower?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    I'd agree Hosta ... one of the mustard family ... on the farm we'd have called it Charlock ... a common weed on arable fields and frequently pops up on newly cultivated land. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Culpeper says "A decoction of the seed in wine resists poison, the malignity of Mushrooms and the bites of venomous creatures" so quite useful then.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I’m sure Culpepper said that if that didn’t work, a dose of leaches would😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Eeeeuuuugggghhhhh! There's a picture that will take some shifting  :|
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • We put it in a pot when we found it as we didn't know what it was so I'm guessing it's a pain in the rear to get rid off, good job we didn't leave it in the veg patch then 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,923
    Not really a problem to get rid of if you pull it up before it seeds ... but the seeds remain viable in the soil for a long while so if there are more in your soil they'll keep popping up from time to time ... but you'll soon learn to recognise the leaves and pull them up ... just as we did as children  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.