Forum home Plants

PLANT ID

nicola_onicola_o Posts: 5
Is anyone able to tell me what this plant is please. Thank you.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited June 2018
    Welcome to the forums!

Looks like 
    Beschorneria yuccoides
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364
    No idea, but my main thought is that plants looks very exotic for Scotlands climate. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• I agree with @Silver surfer,..its also probably 'Flamingo Glow',..most certainly a keeper,..beautiful plant.
    Philip.
    edited June 2018
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • @Silver surfer,..well spotted  :),..i should have studied the foliage,..thanks for the link.

Philip.
  • nicola_onicola_o Posts: 5
    Thank you, that certainly looks like it 👌  Can anyone tell me how to get it to flower - the picture was of an off-shoot I potted up and gave to a friend but the original plant that is in the ground and formed a nice clump hasn't flowered for about ten years😕 any ideas ?? 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,143
    Beschorneria is a member of the Agave family , and like most of them , originates from Mexico .
    It is what I refer to as a 'long-day' plant ; that is , it requires consistency in the amount of direct sunlight it receives every day to induce flowering .
    Living in E.Lincs , and supposedly a drier and warmer area of the UK , mine hasn't flowered for about five-years now .
    We've had a series of cooler summers with far less hot spells than we used to see ; this is not good news for plants like these .

As we are all aware , a garden can produce quite a complex array of microclimates .
    If possible , would it be practical to move your plant to a situation where it receives maximum sunshine ?
    The warmth radiated at night by a south-facing wall can make a remarkable difference to plants of this nature .
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • nicola_onicola_o Posts: 5
    Useful information - Thank you.  Strangely though, the offshoot in the pot was sat with the parent plant for 2 years before I gave it to my friend and then it promptly started to flower - typical 😂