Forum home Wildlife gardening

Afternoon visitor

Look who paid a visit in my garden this afternoon. The crows were having a go at him, dive bombing him/her, but he/she just stayed put. Even my little cat was watching from the kitchen window, probably thinking to herself "that is one big bird"....

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Are there local fish around? They are good photos.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    Fire said:
    Are there local fish around? They are good photos.
    Or frogs?  or even slugs?   

I imagine he has a family to feed ......... herons are my favourite birds  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited June 2018
    Maybe I should have a trained heron to attend to the slugs, like ducks.  😃
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 385
    Yes I have some fantail goldfish in a pond, but they are protected with a net. And we have a park just over the road from us, with about 3 pairs of herons that have nested in the middle of the lake. I have seen them flying over the house quite a bit recently. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,932
    What a beautiful bird.  You know you're doing well for wildlife when you've got something like that in your garden!  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    Well ... now we know why he's in your garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Blue, I think it was wildlife in the shape of goldfish. We get herons that come and sit on the shed and stalk next door's carp.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    Got any ginger in the garden?

Heron Rosted

PERIOD: England, 15th century | SOURCE: Harleian MS. 4016 | CLASS: Authentic

DESCRIPTION: Ginger Mustard Sauce for Fowl

ORIGINAL RECEIPT:

Take a heron; lete him blode as a crane, And serue him in al poyntes as a crane, in scalding, drawing, and kuttyng the bone of the nekke a-wey, And lete the skyn be on, & c.; roste him and sause him as þe Crane; breke awey the bone fro the kne to the fote, And lete the skyn be on.

Crane Rosted . . . his sauce is to be mynced with pouder of gynger, vynegre, & Mustard.

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279 & Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, & Douce MS 55.London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner & Co., 1888.

u
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    He is beautiful. I would like to have him visiting. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'