Ph level

The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener South West ScotlandPosts: 212
This morning I purchased one of those probe thingys for testing Ph and moisture levels. I probed a few areas around my borders and the reading was around 6.5 - 7.25, mostly 6.75s though.  Does this mean I can grow pretty much anything that takes my fancy as it's not really alkaline or acidic?  Or does it mean that I'm limited to plants that don't like either of them?

Also, if I stuck my probe in a lemon would that be a good way of checking if it worked? Or would that break it? I'm wondering why my soil is neither this nor that tbh and figure that might be a good way to check my probe isn't a dud (as a lemon is bound to be really acidic). 

Thanks for any advice.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,667
    I've never found those probes much use tbh.
    Lemon juice is very acidic and has a pH of around 2 - it wont hurt your probe, but your probe is unlikely to go as low as a pH of 2.0
    Just to give some idea, lemon juice is pH2 and car battery acid is around pH1.
    The difference of a single pH represents a 10-fold difference in strength. A pH difference of 2 represents a 100-fold difference in acidity (or alkalinity).

You're probably ok and can grow pretty much anything.
    My soil is very slightly acidic and Acers etc grow well as do non acid loving plants.

A website that gives some good general info on soil types is here - just tap in your postcode.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener South West ScotlandPosts: 212
    Thanks  @Pete8.  Appreciate the link, unfortunately it doesn't cover Scotland.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 932
    edited June 2018
    Before I read your post I guessed your Ph would be something like that. 6.5 is neutral to slight acid and above 7 still neutralish until about 7.3 when it goes slightly more alkaline. My soil is about the same in SW Scotland so all is well, you can grow what you like.

SW Scotland