Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mice?

Today i noticed this hole in the grass. It wasn't there yesterday. Do you think it's a mouse? We have had moles but it doesnt look like that as theres no mound of earth.

I have included a pic with my garden fork for scale.  :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    How far does it go down?  Is it a tunnel or just an exploratory hole?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I just poked a stick down it and it went in about 8 1/2 inches
    Maybe a vole looking for tasty roots to nibble?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yeah thats possible. 
    If they weren't so gorgeous you could be really annoyed with them, but ...  <3

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Voles really annoy me.  Cuteness factor is eliminated when they ruin/eat half the veg in your plot, girdle your blackberries, and eat most of your strawberries, etc.  

Keep an eye out for damage.. but if they're not too much of a bother, leave it be.  They are pretty cute when they peak out at you from their little holes.  My batch was a rather fearless bunch.  I managed to annoy them enough that they've relocated elsewhere, and I haven't found any sign of them for the last month or so.  
    Utah, USA.
    Thanks both. I might go and sit there in the evening and see if i spot it. I dont have veg there luckily. 
    Thanks both. Maybe i will sit quietly there just before it gets dark and see if i catch  glimpse. Better not be a rat.  :|
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Mine were active during the middle of the day, when I was weeding, etc.  
    Utah, USA.
    Oh! Ive been looking today but haven't seen anything.