Forum home Problem solving

Where to dead head astrantia

any advice on where to dead head astrantia... the entire stem or just the small flower heads?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,469
    My slugs do it for me - unfortunately. 
    I think you can cut off heads or lower down the stem and you may have a second flush, but leaving the flower heads on to dry will produce seeds if you would like those. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • CrohaldCrohald Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback... whilst the flowers look good at the moment, I was thinking of cutting back now ... just was not sure if to remove the entire stem or just the heads.... thanks anyway!!
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,469
    Cutting the whole stem will look neater, and would still grow back.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    Thanks! Task for the weekend:)
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I always cut back the whole stem, as AuntyRach said, keeps the plant looking neater.
    Thanks for the advice... seems to be the way to go! And I assume to cut the stem back to the ground. 
    Not necessarily back to the ground, just below leaf level should be fine, otherwise you will see the little brown tipped stumps
    Mary hi and thanks for the note. Just so I’m clear...do you mean to cut the long flowering long stems to below the overall plant leaf level? In other words, the flowers are at the top of long stems ... I’m just not sure from the feedback if I should cut the entire stem? Hope I’m explains correctly:)

Yes......
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,864
    Mine are hardly out yet, but yes do cut the whole stem back as far as you can, I cut this flush of flowers back then they flower again and I keep those seeds.
    they don’t always come true but all colours are nice.

my original seeds were from Beaus Mums on the seed swap thread, I now have loads of them around the garden. Thrilled with them, all shades from dark red to white, I don’t mind. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.