Forum home Plants

Identification

lcbrittainlcbrittain Posts: 20
Does anyone know what this is? It was cut from a medium sized tree in the mountains of Cyprus. The berries turn a translucent yellow when ripe, and I am told that priests used the stones inside to make rosaries. There are two derelict chapels nearby to reinforce that information. I am talking about the ones nearest the lense, with calices like little well-fitting hats; there are others in the picture which look like crab apples and grow on trees with leaves like hawthorn - they are not the question.

• Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193
    Looks a bit fig like ?
     Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,524
    There's this (Ziziphus spina-christi) that sort of matches your description.
    But it has thorns, so not sure
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,949
    I've asked a friend who lives in Cyprus to have a look ... she says she's seen them up in the mountains ... definitely not a fig ... she's investigating.

Another friend suggested loquat .... I'm not so sure about that ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lcbrittainlcbrittain Posts: 20
    Only sort of ... those berries don't have any calices; they look like little apples. Thanks all the same, though.
  • lcbrittainlcbrittain Posts: 20
    To Dove from Above: not a loquat. We have them everywhere and eat them.  I wonder who your friend is ... I may know her!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    I haven't a clue what it is but maybe a photo of the inside of the fruits might help others to identify?
    Cut one in half and give us a look 😃
    edited May 2018
    To Dove from Above: not a loquat. We have them everywhere and eat them.  I wonder who your friend is ... I may know her
    No, I thought loquat was wrong too.  Wouldn't it be funny if you knew her ... she plays Mah Jong ...   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,524
    Have a look at Styrax officinalis - seems a good match (not gardening weather today and I'm bored)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Friend in Cyprus says "... Definitely not a loquat, we have one in the garden. I did wonder about Melia azedarach, the China berry tree but think that the leaves are wrong. It is probably one of the vast tribe of acacias, those leaves remind me of a regenerating acacia tree."