Forum home Fruit & veg

New to growing

2»

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Daniel, Paul in Surrey has just taken the words out of my mouth!  I was about to say, next time it's too wet to garden, teach your daughter another valuable life skill - using a public library.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595
    I'm sure you could find strawberries in flower at the local garden centre/ DIY shed type place. That's pretty instant ,and delicious. 
    Devon.
  • KiliKili Posts: 858
    courgette plant if you can buy one from a GC. They romp away and give you an endless supply of courgettes all summer long. I've seeded to many (again) this year and have 6 in the greenhouse now and have to pick them almost daily.

There great for kids as they literally increase their growth overnight. :)

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,899
    edited May 2018
    Peas are excellent, and an easy favorite of my children.  I grow them up a bit of chicken wire for support, but have used canes and yarn strung back and forth in the past.  Avoid twiggy branches, as children have a habit of taking an occasional twig to the eye.  :#  Cherry tomatoes are good fun too.. pick some plants up at the GC this year.  
    Utah, USA.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    And you can grow micro-salads on a window sill, such as mustard and cress, and sprout seeds and beans in the kitchen.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Kili mentioning courgette plants took me right back to my childhood (although we had marrows back then) when Dad would ask if there was anything in the garden for me. There it was! A marrow with my name on it! It was like magic to a child.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Sugar snap peas and lettuces...........delicious and fast growing
  • need to thank everyone for all the help, must say i am not sure who is enjoying it more my little girl or me. i think i have have found a new hobbie lol
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 348
    That’s great that you and your daughter are enjoying getting into gardening.

I’ve loved being out in the garden with my two. When I found them sat on the wall picking peas and eating them it made me so happy.

In terms of books, if you’ve got a small space to work with, I’ve found ‘grow all you can eat in 3 square feet’ really helpful, and has some great ideas.

My kids also loved picking cherry tomatoes last year. A Bush tomato in a pot was an easy thing for them to water and pick as they ripened.

Happy growing!

• VicAVicA Posts: 2
    I have to agree, it's brilliant if you manage to get your kids into this as well. My little one is doing an awesome job in ensuring they've got plenty of water - sometimes overdoing it but well...

How are you finding it so far Daniel? Stick to the easy maintenance one for the beginning and if you guys are really finding any pleasure in doing it, you'll soon find yourself owning a small, self-sustainable veggie garden like I do. 

If you're looking to diversify, here's a list of easy-to-grow veggies that you can easily https://practicalhome.uk/easiest-vegetables-to-grow/