Forum home The potting shed

Fox Gloves changing color

I've noticed a few questions regarding fox gloves changing color....it happens !! In my yard and my sisters..seeing it is beleiving it ! Don't need to ask an expert..I've seen it happen with roses also ..

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091
    not sure what you're saying here. Foxglove flowers change colour as they open and seeded foxgloves are often a different colour from the parent. Something else?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,760
    Ditto @nutcutlet. I'm not sure if we're being asked a question or being told a fact.
    Devon.
  • What I'm saying is a fox glove plant that grew here last year was the regular color...now it's yellow..I did not plant this..it appeared on its own two years ago...the same has happened in my sister's yard with her fox gloves.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650
    Not all foxgloves die after flowering, there are plenty of species of perennial foxgloves.
    However, a pink foxglove will not change into a yellow foxglove, it is a different plant.
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,381
    There's a fair bit of cross pollination going on with fox gloves so colours do change now and then. Case in point is the photo below. Quite a range of pinks but the odd rogue white cropping up too.

New plants can be different colours [ although not from pink to yellow ], but the poster seems to be referring to an individual plant changing colour, and that can't occur.
    You can never ever leave
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091
    The poster hasn't made it clear to me what she means.
  • Thank you all for your response....I'm 71 and have never seen not heard of any unusually colored fox flove before so this is exciting for me....do keep in mind that evolution continues and the unexpected is quite possible....my plant that's now yellow IS one that did not did down last winter..
    Sorry if I seem rude, by your ideas on evolution miss out that evolution occurs on breeding, not in an individual. The seed from a plant may produce a plant of a different colour, the parent plant does not evolve to change colour.
    Yellow foxgloves are a different species to the common pink foxglove, so the plant would have had to mutate.
    You can never ever leave