Forum home Plants

Dangers of Hogweed

SonnieBSonnieB Posts: 122
Did anyone read the article about Hogweed in the Metro today.  Pictures are quite graphic.  Didn't realise Hogweed could be so dangerous  

• SonnieBSonnieB Posts: 122
    It was common Hogweed 
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Common as muck, me!:s
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,463
    I had some nasty blisters from common hogweed when I was younger. My dad told me to go and cut down the flowering stems from the field before they set seed and the next day I was covered in 5p size blisters where I'd had exposed skin and the sap had got on me. I occasionally get the odd small blister now when using a strimmer without checking if there's any hidden in the grass.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • SonnieBSonnieB Posts: 122
    @hogweed 😂
  • JellyfireJellyfire Posts: 1,139
    edited May 2018
    Havent read the article, but as its the Metro, who have also told us about the arrival of killer false widows (who have lived here happily for over 100 years), Killer caterpillars, killer hornets etc, Id take it with a large pinch of salt. Lots of people are allergic to hogweed and its family, unless its going to start uprooting itself and attacking us I doubt its a problem 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,304
    Never had any trouble with this plant myself. Got its name as the young stems were collected as pig food.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    I react really badly, still got the scars on my legs from wearing shorts whilst clearing a load of hogweed nearly 20 years ago. They never tan and can get sensitive in sunlight even now.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    The young fronds are edible, They taste ok if a little furry, One can also gather the stems and tie them tightly together, they exude a sugary sap as they dry. Probably a good idea to check for allergies before consuming.
    Gives more information, the article you are referring too would seem to imply it is talking about giant hogweed (I have not read it) Many plants can give you a very nasty rash, parsnip leaves for one!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,431
    Many plants in that family can do that including Celery
    Care and common sense are good
    Panic is pointless 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hogweed looks like cow parsley or hemlock... Any easy way to