Forum home Fruit & veg

Runner bean question

nicd38nicd38 Posts: 23
Hi. 
Just spotted these on my bean leaves . 
Iv heard about different issues it could be. 
Should i be worried about the white spots that seem to have appeared? 
if so, anything i can do to sort it ? 

New grower here, so very inexperienced, sorry. 

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,314
    I am no expert nicd but I would be looking underneath the leaves for miners or mites? If there are signs of animal molestation then it could be they were scorched? Runner Beans are prolific but picky, they need moisture but not wet and hate big temp changes. They can be scorched by sun, wind and rain.

Someone else with more nouse might have some better ideas, meanwhile good luck!
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • nicd38nicd38 Posts: 23
    it has been really nasty weather here with week.  I put them out at the weekend, while it was quite hot .  ( this is uk, so not that hot lol ) 
    and since then, we have had thunder storms almost daily. 
    Could that be a factor ? 
    They certainly won't appreciate the big temp and moisture changes, were they hardened off outdoors? I would keep an eye on the newer leaves  and just be sure they aren't going the same way, if its just the leaves that were there when you planted them out its probably the change in growing conditions. Hang on in there they will probably be OK, I don't plant mine out 'til June usually but I do give them a bit of feed while they are still in their pots, need them BIG to withstand slug attacks! Seed compost might be bit thin when they get a few leaves so they might be really happy now they're outdoors.

Watch and wait.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    i did harden off for a week or so, as we had some beautiful weather before the weekend.  i had a long 4 day weekend off work, so i repotted and stuffs while i was off. Not easy finding the time as i work 6am - 7 pm, 6 days a week.  i will keep an eye.  No slugs around as i have the pots on slate stuff. 
    Thanks for the info 
    You have my complete admiration nicd, those are long working hours although as the summer goes on there is less to do for veg. I have the benefit of being retired and, while I find I'm a lot slower these days, I do have most days to potter.

I wish you well, I'm sure the bean problem will resolve itself with time. Sadly you may have other problems by then, but that's gardening  ;)
    Thank you. I’m a home carer for elderly and disabled clients. So on the go most of the day. The gardening was meant to help me relax 🤣😂
    maybe I picked the wrong hobby lol 😝 
    You definitely didn't! There is nothing like a half hours weeding to put anything in perspective and what could be better than watching things grow knowing they are going to be a tasty meal. I just love it!
    Well ..... 
    i don’t actually eat fruit and veg 🤣😂🤣
    was hoping growing them may make me want to try a few more 
    What! You do not know what you're missing! Carrots caramelised in butter, new potato salad with a few chives, fresh salad leaves without the bitterness of prolonged storage and transportation, roasted peppers and squash with tomato pasta....... I'd best stop its too near teatime and this is making me think of food.

Be sure you pick your runner beans when they are small and don't get put off by the stringy bits on older beans!