Plastic Fencing, good or bad ?

Hi trying to get some ideas for my back garden, am aware of either timber or concrete post, standard wooden panel fencing or gravel boards as fences but not so pleased with the maintenance (painting/treating) or installation side (heavy lifting, no access on other side of garden etc).

Plastic or uPVC fencing seems to solve most of these issues, so is it actually worth it or better to stick with wooden fencing and timber or concrete fence post ?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    I have white vinyl fence.  Zero maintenance here in my climate.  In the U.K. it will probabaly need a yearly scrub or power wash to remove algae.. but that is about it.  

I don't like the look of it, personally, it was here when we moved it.. but the entire neighborhood has nearly identical vinyl in slightly different patterns.. so it doen't look out of place or even that noticeable.  It certainly does brighten the garden (blindingly so here).  
    Utah, USA.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,939
    I've read some of these plastic fences claim a 25 year life. Fine if you like the colour for the next 25 years. 
    Would you want to be stuck with the same hairstyle,clothes, carpet, curtains, sofa ,wallpaper for 25 years?
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,270
    Never heard of it.
    Can you screw trellis to it?
    Does it get very hot in the sun and scorch plants that are resting against it?
    Neighbour bought a plastic shed. Ghastly. It looked, well, plastic.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • rebootreboot Posts: 13
    thanks for comments, something to consider for sure. Yes I have too read from other pvc fence owners it does need a hose or wipe down twice a year, the brown or darker panels won't get as dirty looking as the white pvc panels.

Am hearing frost can be an issue causing it to go brittle and crack during minus temps under snow/winter but others have suggested no real issues either so bit conflicting info.

I am reading its best to still use concrete with the pvc fence post to increase stability also.

Would be still great to hear pvc fence owners or anyone's opinions
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,492
    We have got plastic fencing in our back garden. Not our choice, it was here when we moved in 5 years ago. It is actually wood covered with plastic, so yes you can screw things to it. I don't know how long it has been up for. It looked a complete mess when we moved in but I washed it with warm water and washing up liquid and it came clean easy enough. It would have looked better if it had been put up properly and not thrown up any old how.
    We will be getting round to replacing it eventually, but as we have no pets or children other things have taken priority.

When we moved in

5 years later

Sorry it's not the same angle.
  • Sorry I cannot answer your question about plastic fences but since you are looking for ideas I thought I would mention hazel hurdles. They can be easily attached to oak or chestnut posts driven into the ground, are natural looking, long lasting and no maintenance needed. Alternative to hazel could be willow fences.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,434
    edited May 2018
    Pauline, are you describing the white fence?
    edited May 2018
    Yes Fire. That's the plastic fence. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
  • rebootreboot Posts: 13
    Pauline: If I showed everyone the state of my garden the moderators would instantly ban me ;)

It does not look to bad to me but can see the slope and angle of your back garden running upwards a bit, I have the same issue. Good to hear soap and water does the trick.

aureliecelerier
    Thanks not considered those options but I think I need something a bit stronger and thicker for better security.

Reboot.  Don't worry about showing us your garden,  we all had to start somewhere.  It's good to take photos before you start and as you go along so that you can look back and see what you have achieved. 
    You can probably see the slope better in this photo 

You have to work with what you have got.