If only.......

B3B3 Posts: 10,408
After the deluge today, I noticed the lawn was full of slugs of every size and colour.  It looked like Brighton beach on a sunny bank holiday.
It occurred to me: what if we could train slugs and snails to eat only grass? No more mowing and now more chewed plants!
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    You could just stake them out like farmers do with their goats.  Just make sure your string isn't long enough it will reach your boarders.  
    Utah, USA.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,574
    I wonder if we could spray lager or beers over the lawn, that would keep them there. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 10,408
    Good plan!
    I could drill a little hole in the snail shell and knot a bit of thread.
    Tethering a slug would be more problematic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,123
    If you staked them out in my garden they be 'sacrificial goats' a tethered buffet, actually that's not a bad idea  :D
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,439
    "Brighton beach on a sunny bank holiday".  That's rather an evil comment. :D

I am feeling very dishearten by the mollusc farm that my garden is becoming. I tried putting in some 20 inch foxgloves and they got totally munched. Three test ammi also. I wonder if there will come a time before September when the plants would survive. I been out every few hours, in my garden, (between storms) and pulled off about 80 slugs/snails each time. In a 30/12 ft garden. They have decimated large anemone hups and comfrey plants and trying to ingest two new clems. Such a waste of money and time. :s
    I stick copper tape onto really cheap plastic lawn edging and surround my veg with it, it really works! Sadly my really cheap lawn edging is in the 'shed' with the robins  :'(  so it was the scissors this evening. Probably again in an hour or so I reckon as the veg bed is like the magic porridge pot!
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,408
    My daughter loved that story.
    Do you think Heston might produce a recipe for slug porridge?
    My sister loves that man B3 and she is cordon bleu or whatever it is, I'm afraid I just don't get it and the fact that it took me a moment to realise you were joking says it all, eeeeuughhhhh
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,593
    eugh [green faced emoji] 

I have explained to my slugs that they are missing a trick and if they'd eat docks and bittercress instead of dahlias and brassicas, I'd be building them little houses like I do for toads and other things that eat slugs. In evolutionary terms, I told them, you're crawling up the wrong branch. At the very least you need to evolve wings (as I lobbed another one onto the shed roof where the blackbirds were waiting)

Flying...
    Or am I falling?