Forum home Problem solving

Help Please! What's eating my courgette?

Hi,

Having moved into a new house with my first ever garden (Yey!) I thought I'd try growing some veg.  Having managed to nurse my seedlings to the point they are ready to plant, I'm gutted to find that 2 weeks after planting, my courgette is suffering.  It looks like the outer layer of the bottom of the stalk has been eaten off. Any ideas what this is and what I can do about it?  Any help gratefully recieved!

Cheers, 

Holly 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,711
    My guess is slugs and/or snails.  I see you've given them a slug pub ... sometimes they don't co-operate ... maybe some are teetotal ... try a circle of sharp grit or crushed dried eggshells around the stem  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank-you! I will get on that today!
  • Janett2Janett2 LeicsPosts: 4
    I'm fairly new to vegetable growing. I've bought some copper bands for the plants I really don't want the slugs to get and touch wood it seems to be working.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    I am a fan of copper tape as well Janett2 but the problem with any large leafy plant is that any overhanging leaves, stalks whatever gives them an in, not so much with courgettes though as they don't seem to like the prickly leaves but they love the flowers  :'(
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett