Winter losses- time to get realistic.

Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,261
edited May 2018 in The potting shed
Ok here we are rushing towards the end of May I have to face facts there are some things that are just not coming back. That sudden extra cold snap "did" for a number of things that normally would have survived. I know we have too many plants in pots & it's mostly those that have suffered but not all things were in pots, and those that were,  were mostly in substantial containers not just plastic pots, or were given other protection. I think the cold winds did as much damage as the actual temperatures.
The toll so far,
 4 out of 6 Agapanthus
several small ferns in the green wall,
only 1 out of 5 heliotrope survived despite them all being lifted & put in the protection of the greenhouse (in the propagator for most of the time)
1 Acer palmatum, disectum (green leaves)
On the Allotments:
Only 3 out of 8 Dahlia stools survived even though they were all kept together, in an insulated shed
An upright cordon Pear tree, in fairness this tree has been struggling for a while I nearly dug it out 2 years ago but relented when it fruited again I did not know then that this was it's last hoorah!
Considering I do not live in a particularly challenging area weather wise  quite a bad year really. How have others managed?
AB Still learning

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218
    Round here, we count what has survived not what has perished.😀
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    I didn't think this winter was particularly worse than any other to be honest. In fact there's a few things that I neglected to tuck away in the growhouse that are sprouting away nicely.
    Pots of gladioli, dahlia and even some calibrachoa plugs I forgot to bin at the end of the summer 😕.

• Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    My banana which I was sure was a goner showed signs of life yesterday.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,390
    I had an unusual Phlomis italica (pinkish flowers instead of the usual yellow) about 2-3 ft tall which was going to be the star of the show. It's just about clinging to life but looks really sad and bedraggled so I'm agonising on whether to dig it up or not. I did know it was on the tender side, but it had survived the winter before and I'd wrapped it up well I thought. 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,021
    I have accepted that the ceanothus is gone along with all the salvias, but everything else has survived including the cordyline. Not too bad considering what the garden went through for months.
    SW Scotland
  • The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener South West ScotlandPosts: 212
    I bit the bullet and cut my Cordyline back to around 6" off the ground.  It looks a goner, but I'll give it this last chance. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,261
    pansyface said:
    Round here, we count what has survived not what has perished.😀
    That is what I mean, I am still within the M25 & relatively sheltered. It must be tough for others (and expensive to keep replacing things).
    AB Still learning

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,757
    My agapanthus are still just showing life so give yours another week or two. Mine are weakened but they will recover.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 667
    I lost three out of six artichokes (they were mulched and had survived two winters already) one of the remaining ones is very poorly and I lost all my thyme. Rosemary survived but it was in a pot in the greenhouse overwinter, seems thyme will have to join it.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,888
    I lost a Hotlips and have just pulled it out as no greenleaf is on it. Possibly lost a bog salvia too. I might have to dig it up to check.

I have lost more to the horrendous amount of slugs, than the winter.