Forum home Tools and techniques

light weight strimmer that also cuts lawn edges

Please, I need some advice! now I am in my 70s and unfortunatly left handed and now cannot manage my petrol strimmer, I would be very grateful for your help!.
Richard.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414
    Tina, What is unfortunate about being left handed? left handers were much needed in my apprentice years for cutting rivets out with a hammer and chisel in tight right hand corners.
    Strimmers can be bought in all sizes and prices from battery operated at £30 to how big is your wallet. They will all cut a lawn edge as I discovered when they first came on the market. You put a wooden plank down and tipped the trimmer on its side, as you moved along the string cut down and levelled the edge. Many strimmers later it still works. You do not need a plank if you do not have one it keeps the line straight though.
    Do you have a DIY place anywhere near, they will have a good assortment and be willing to demonstrate, the only problem I found on cheap ones is putting new string on some come with a bobbin you just clip on others are wound by hand, not always easy.
    If you are on line look in Google before you go shopping they often have customer remarks on usage.
    Frank.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,488
    Hi Tina
    There's a site I always visit before buying gardening tools.
    It's Fred's Shed and I've never been disappointed with his recommendations.
    Worth having a look at. It's a bit jumbled but the information is good and reliable
    Click here --> Fred's Shed 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,022
    Another vote for left-handers!

Tina/Richard, I find a strimmer with plastic strings a fiddle now my hands are getting a bit arthritic. I use one with an easy clip on plastic blade - mines from Lidl, lightweight and easy to use, tho you have to order the replacement blades online. I go through a lot of blades as my ‘grass’ and border edging are quite stony. Bosch and other brands do similar ones.
  • Nollie said:
    Another vote for left-handers!

Tina/Richard, I find a strimmer with plastic strings a fiddle now my hands are getting a bit arthritic. I use one with an easy clip on plastic blade - mines from Lidl, lightweight and easy to use, tho you have to order the replacement blades online. I go through a lot of blades as my ‘grass’ and border edging are quite stony. Bosch and other brands do similar ones.
    Tina, What is unfortunate about being left handed? left handers were much needed in my apprentice years for cutting rivets out with a hammer and chisel in tight right hand corners.
    Strimmers can be bought in all sizes and prices from battery operated at £30 to how big is your wallet. They will all cut a lawn edge as I discovered when they first came on the market. You put a wooden plank down and tipped the trimmer on its side, as you moved along the string cut down and levelled the edge. Many strimmers later it still works. You do not need a plank if you do not have one it keeps the line straight though.
    Do you have a DIY place anywhere near, they will have a good assortment and be willing to demonstrate, the only problem I found on cheap ones is putting new string on some come with a bobbin you just clip on others are wound by hand, not always easy.
    If you are on line look in Google before you go shopping they often have customer remarks on usage.
    Frank.