Forum home Problem solving

dead yew with details photos and need advice on what to do.

Hi
Thanks to the replies to my previous post. The discussion is now days old and I was too exhausted to respond over the weekend. So I am reposting it, with the requested details and photos this time. I need advice on what to do. I think they are not being reasonable, but consumer rights advice is not what I am after, really, but thanks for the replies on that.

I bought 65 bare root yew plants, (Them and more, the apple tree isn't alive either, told to wait until the end of June on that too. The bare root bushes were mostly ok.) Two thirds of the yew, the first two photos, were a dull green on arrival. The others healthy and fresh. I told them that at the time. They said they would replace dead plants. Now they are saying I need to tell them again that they are dead at the end of June, and will only replace them at the end of this year. Claiming I haven't watered them. We have, we've worked hard and that has left my son in bits because he thought he hadn't done enough - he has and left me pretty angry. They sold me unhealthy plants, I've worked hard and now they are just telling me to wait, waste my time, energy, money and have a depressing garden for a year because they left the lifted ones out in the frost or something.

I've counted the ones still alive, only 23. A couple of those are doubtful. Do I give up and rip them out? It is really depressing to have a garden lined with dead plants. The rest of the garden is clay and yet to be dug over. It is a new build. I dug over the bed, put on a mulch of manure and topping, fed with fish blood and bone and also later with seaweed. I soaked them and dipped them in the myco rootgrow before planting, and believe me, they are watered every day, the pea seedlings behind them are growing fine. The photos were taken  first thing before watering.

First two photos is of how it is a couple of weeks ago, then the differences in size they sent, and the last is the differences in the green freshness of them after arrival and before planting. (They said the differences in size were according to their website and were the same height.)

What would you guys do?

Many thanks.
Bea

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,467
    Hi Bea. I would pursue the vendors to seek recompense and I would put it in writing to them with a copy to trading standards, making sure you have written that at the bottom (or top) of your written copy. I can only imagine how expensive these plants would have been to buy and you have been given a badly mixed bunch.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Bea18Bea18 Posts: 10
    Thank you Ladybird, I am thinking the same myself now. Even if I do go back to them, yet again at the end of June, the wait until November, goodness knows what they will send me next time. I just can't rip out the healthy plants despite the huge gaps. So will use the refund to go to another supplier. So if anyone can recommend one? (Is that allowed?)
    thank you
    Bea
    I have sent you a private message with some information that may be useful.
    Ladybird
    Hi Ladybird, my thanks to your email bounced back, I don't know how you managed to send me a private email. The other suppliers are not the one who sold me these yew. I really appreciate your reply, I've made my decision and feel much happier. Thank you.

Bea
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Hi Bea, not sure who you used, but I bought a bare root yew hedge from hedgesdirect last year, watered it well once a week for first month or two its growing away nicely now, and has made lots of good growth this year so I'd happily recommend them. They also sell in pots I believe for a more instant fix.
    Have looked at the pots and they are way out of my price range.  I am going to have to wait until bare root season now before I can buy more - if they refund me. I definitely don't want more plants from them. I told them two thirds were dull and lifeless compared to the others on arrival and they were still content to have me spend backbreaking hours and waste my money on plants that weren't ok, and living with a garden lined with dead bushes. Can't see me getting my money back. Looks like hedgedirect will be getting an order from me for November, hopefully. Thank you.
    Thats odd Bea - regarding the private message.Did you click on my avatar, then click on Message and finally click on Start conversation? I must admit that the first time I used the PM thingy on here I found it a bit confusing. Anyway, it seems you may be sorted now. I'd still go down the Trading Standards route though.
    Hi Ladybird, no, I didn't. I just tried to reply. I also can't just click the link from my email to the site, I have to log in etc. But thanks for telling me how to send a private email now as well, as obvious as it sounds I didn't know. Will go via Trading Standards, if they think it's fine doing what they've done so far, it sounds like I'll have to. Bea
    Do let us know how you go on. Maybe name and shame the company on here so that others will be warned off.