No more than seven plants..?

12346»

• Marlorena, I'm sure that is true.  I do wish I had stuck to a smaller selection of plants but I have one of 'those' gardens like a mini airstrip; 13' wide and 130' long - you only really view it in its entirety by looking down it from the house or back up the other way and the (somewhat) mish mash of plants is jarring to my eye.  It doesn't help that one side along its length is almost all in full sun, all day, and the other in complete shade all day.  Seven plants is a big ask in that situation.
  • The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener South West ScotlandPosts: 212
    I can understand the thinking behind it. But I say plant whatever is going to make you feel happy when you sit in your garden relaxing, if that is 7 species then so be it, if it's seventy seven then fill your boots. Whatever makes you happy I reckon. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,543
    ^ very true..

@blameitonthedog... 
    I wouldn't say no to a garden like that as I know exactly what I would do with it, and relish the prospect... I would split it into 3, each a little bit different from the others...  something like that...  I could probably stick to 7 types of plants in each section, plus a few more for experimentation should I come home from Dobbie's with a car load...
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 878
    Good to see the thread took off while I was away!  Battenberg...looks over promise, flavour never delivers. ;)

So I’ve had a think about the front garden, what’s your thoughts on this selection?

Front (future survivors)

1. Roses
    2. Cotoneaster
    3. Berberis
    4. Spiraea
    5. California Poppy
    6. Sweet Williams
    7. Bulbs; daffs/tulips/gladioli/iris
    On death row
    1. 1 mature cherry laurel
    2. 5 immature cherry laurels
    3. Sickly palm
    4. Something fingers (invading ground cover)
    5. 1 Asparagus
    6. Assorted wildflowers
    7. Leggy pansies
    8. Sprouting nasturtium

Heading to the herb garden
    1. 1 Bay
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    Oh no, you must leave the asparagus!  It will serve as a focal talking point for years to come.
    Utah, USA.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,406
    Bay gets big
    In London. Keen but lazy.