No more than seven plants..?

• B3B3 Posts: 11,407
    edited May 2018
    It's not a mess it's vibrant life and I don't want to control it - much.
    I find over-designed gardens and seedless gravel or paths sterile but then I find a perfectly tidy room a bit disturbing too - ok. I'm bonkers :) .
    As far as design goes - I make sure pink and yellow don't get near each other.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,882
    I'm not sure it's a mantra, so much as idea to play with. Alan Tichmarsh talks about using few plant types in HTBaG - blocks of colour repeating, keeping it simple.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,068
    B3 said:
    It's not a mess it's vibrant life and I don't want to control it - much.
    I find over-designed gardens and seedless gravel or paths sterile but then I find a perfectly tidy room a bit disturbing too - ok. I'm bonkers :) .
    As far as design goes - I make sure pink and yellow don't get near each other.
    Umm, like the yellow of California poppies and pink of dianthus?  (Asking for a friend obviously!)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,403
    Or the yellow of forsythia with the pink of flowering currant?  Both ghastly plants IMHO.

I've just checked my seeds spreadsheet and I have 200 packets so even allowing for several varieties of the same plant I'm way beyond 7 and that doesn't include the veggies.  However, there are plants for shade, sun, moist, dry and bog so different beds and seasonal succession too so it won't be too crazy - assuming they all grow when I sow them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,407
    Tinpot
    Plant them but not near each other!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,068
    Fire said:
    I'm not sure it's a mantra, so much as idea to play with. Alan Tichmarsh talks about using few plant types in HTBaG - blocks of colour repeating, keeping it simple.
    That makes sense.  It’s made me look at what I’ve got and be honest about the plants that are there because they’re there, the plants I wish weren’t there at all, and the ones I like.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,619
    If you like pink and yellow together, grow them together.
    Many pink plants have yellow stamens, they obviously don't know, that they are in bad taste.
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,882
    "It’s made me look at what I’ve got and be honest about the plants that are there because they’re there, the plants I wish weren’t there at all, and the ones I like."

It's good to be brutally honest with ourselves, sometimes.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 838
    Well ive broken that rule good and proper. 
  • autumngloryautumnglory Posts: 249
    What's wrong with pink and yellow? I think bright fuchsia pink and yellow look nice together.