No more than seven plants..?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,436
    It's not Monty's idea. I have heard it from many sources.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,961
    As with so much of what Monty says: I think it complete tosh.
    Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    While all very well for some, I prefer to have something of interest going on all the time. I have a bed of lupins which give fabulous show but only for a couple of months. 
    I think there should always be something coming and going....
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941
    If you have a small courtyard garden or front garden or even just a small area in a bigger garden then limiting the range of plants clearly makes sense if you want a cohesive whole and colour theming makes sense too.

However, I can't see anyone who likes plants sticking with just 7 in a bigger space.  I've already got more than that just in the veggie plot and more to go in when the new beds are made and the fruit cage is built.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    I take no notice of what so called tv gardeners say.  A lot of what Monty says, is not what he does. 
    In garden, I grow what I like, what suits my soil and climate whatever colour of flower, I have hundreds of different plants. 7 types would look silly here. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 10,388
    This idea puts me in mind of those house makeover shows where everything is painted and carpeted in beige.
    People seem to have lost confidence in their own taste both inside and outside the house.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 878
    Simplicity is a good thing, can’t see any reason to rail against it in the garden unless the rest of your life is *too* simple and you need the chaos as a liberator.

Ive got enough mess in my life already :)

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,436
    Some people enjoy 'railing' I guess. ;)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    Very simple frugal life live here TP😀
    theres nothing I like more than to select loads of packets of seeds in the spring and grows huge variety,  if I had only 7 varieties in the garden I did be very bored.
    Ive just ordered my perennial seeds for next year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,505
    That’s a very hard mantra to live by. In a small single border, maybe. I do develop a theme for a particular bed, with repeating plants/colours, but if you included shrubs and bulbs as well as perennials, not a chance!