The robin is still there!

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,137
    Yes indeed, thank you Lizzie, and thank you for calling it a lawn. I feel the need to use quotes whenever I refer to it. The meadow, as it will now be known, does seem to be attracting the birds anyway. I made a half hearted attempt by the washing line and the sparrows are making off with the dead grass as fast as they can. More nests no doubt.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,106
    To you, dead grass, to the "spuggies", ideal homemaking material. See, it's working already ! 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    @herbaceous I too have a 'meadow' because it's generally too wet to cut. Learn to love it and know that you're doing it for all the right reasons! 
    Your Robins are very lucky birds!
    Thank you PP, and apparently not just the robins. It is starting to feel like an expedition now when I go to fill up the feeders and I'm a bit worried there might be enough cover for my neighbours thug of a cat! But it is growing on me  :)

Trouble with mowing the grass is that there is always something more interesting to do, I fear I am very easily persuaded. At least you have the weather to fall back on.
    I was just posting on a different thread about the robin video when I realised I could take a frame and upload it! I do not have high definition so its a rubbish photo but without the video I wouldn't have seen them a t all, they are sooooo quick. First one is him arriving and the second him going back out again.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,121
    I agree with @Blue Onion the adult Robins will not mind you at all especially if you give them some mealworms too! As long as you don't move too suddenly or loudly you will be able to get some tools out.
    AB Still learning

Thank you for that encouragement AB, as I mentioned the structure is not too sound. You can probably see the lean in the photo and thats where the door is so it is very noisy and quite difficult to open. Not been well maintained eh? Chickens coming home to roost now! In its defence it has withstood several severe storms and torrential rain.

I'll see how brave I feel when the weather brightens up  B)
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    edited May 2018
    I’ve got a robin nesting in my shed, pretty much always have actually. I just leave the door open and use it as per usual. It’s never bothered them in the slightest. If they already have chicks it’s very unlikely they will abandon it unless there is a serious threat or you go rooting around looking for the nest 
    Thank you Jellyfire, that sounds so sensible, I'm just worried my shed will scare them more than me! If I can get the door open it will stay open as it is wedged against the paving, maybe I'll give it a go after this storm.
    Just to let anyone who is interested know, Mr & Mrs Robin have done their stuff and moved on! Tools, lovingly washed pots and trays, netting and cloches covered in poop but I don't care. Cup of tea I think then off to mow the lawn   :)