The robin is still there!

herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,135
Four days ago I opened my shed and a robin was perched on the mower. I retreated slowly and have watched my grass get longer and longer crossing my fingers he wasn't spooked by my sudden appearance.

Haven't noticed him for the last couple of days and getting embarrassed by my 'lawn' I set up my video camera today to see if he was still there and saw him fly in and out again, Hooray!

So happy I didn't upset him and the missus and blow the neighbours the grass stays long. Anyone know how long I should wait before trying to do any more gardening? Run out of greenhouse jobs and only got potting on to do now - all my garden tools are in the shed!

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,135
    I just checked the RSPB website, 14 days to incubate another 14 to hatch and then three weeks of care before the children fly the nest.

What am I to do? I have only one neighbour who gardens and is likely to have a few tools I can borrow and he is in hospital (sadly very ill) I guess its time to call my children before the 'lawn' completely takes over!
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    Can you see where the nest it?  A robin in the garden is used to humans.. you probably pass within a foot of their nest in various trees and shrubs in the past.  If you can spot the nest, carefully sneak in midday and quietly pull out everything you'll likely need for the next few weeks.  If the bird leaves the nest, I expect it will be back soon.  The risk is waiting, and scaring fledglings out of the nest too early.  Just keep your gardening tools under a tarp for a few weeks, until the nest is empty.. unless they decided to have a second clutch.  🙂
    Utah, USA.
    No Blue Onion, I don't think I will be able to see the nest easily for several reasons. They nested in there in February and it took several days after they had gone to find the nest then, very clever at hiding they are. Also my shed is jammed as I store all my stuff over winter in there until it gradually emerges through April and May, bit late this year as the weather threw everything off so still full of shelving, cages, sticks, a few cloches and a lot of plastic drinks bottles. Strimmer and mower only just accessible.

I'm pretty sure its near the back though, just nervous about spooking them as the RSPB say they will abandon a nest if they think you know where it is. Interim measures called for, daughter loaning me a strimmer, fork and spade so I can keep the grass down and earth up the spuds. Have to improvise a net for the beetroot or the pigeons will get even fatter! Friends donating plastic drinks bottles (plenty in this weather) so I can get the peas in and extra compost is on its way.

Grandsons excited to see another nest when the time is right and whole family entering into the Dunkirk spirit. Wish I had one of those PIR camera thingies so I know when the coast is reasonably clear.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,750
    A rather lovely problem to have though, have you had to leave the door or window open? I'm sure friends and family will rally round. I wouldn't worry overmuch about disturbing the robins, my son put a bird box on the playhouse which a bluetit nested in last year - it didn't seem to mind two lively young children and a very big dog playing in the garden!
    edited May 2018
    Yes indeed Lizzie and a welcome diversion from the frustrations of the weather! When I described the building as a shed I may have overstated the case, it is thirty years old, wonky, slowly eroding at the edges and missing one window so they have complete access (unlike me!) and probably quite a lot of food too.

I may be over-reacting to making a disturbance but robins have a very special place in my heart. They always remind me of my husband who swore 'our' robin tracked him like radar whenever he was in the garden. I'm a bit bonkers but it feels like a message.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,482
    I would borrow some tools and not worry about the lawn.
    Indeed Fire, I am determined to finish planting the veg and trying to ignore the meadow! Trouble is I can hear my Dad saying something about weeds seeding and seven years bad luck. I'm sure I got that wrong but I am carrying a small amount of guilt nevertheless.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,482
    A great opportunity, then, for liberation! ;) 
    Ah, if liberation were that straightforward we would all be free. Nevertheless the 'lawn' can wait a while - I remembered my Dad's saying its "one year seeding, seven years weeding" and my 'lawn' has clover, plantain, couch grass, dandelions, daisies, nigella, those ragged thistle things....... and some grass. Doubtless I will pay for my enjoyment of the robins for the next seven years, hey ho   :'(
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,750
    Oh, I understand about the robin now, what a lovely memory. Don't worry about the lawn, just enjoy having a temporary meadow.