Forum home Problem solving

Very weedy grass

edited May 2018 in Problem solving
Hello,

looking for a bit of advice (total novice). I have a small patch of grass outside the front of my house. It appears to be totally full of weeds. We have put weed killer down without any success. How could we resolve this issue? My husband wants to buy a weed picker, but I think it would be so time consuming and would look very sparse  once all the weeds have been removed and we would be better off removing and relaying or just giving up on the grass completely and putting a weed membrane down and some chippings down. What are your thoughts? 

thank you,

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    It is indeed pretty weedy Carrie. Mostly Dandelions by the look of it and they have long tap roots which you need to get out in their entirety if digging them out. Even more challenging with the hard ground at this time of year. 

I would try a selective lawn weed killer such as Verdone Extra. Apply it in the evening with the cooler temps otherwise it will just dry too quickly and not get absorb by the plant. Leave a couple of weeks plus then give it a good rake over, reseed, top dress and keep it damp during the first few weeks to ensure germination. You might want to leave this task till the end of the summer / early autumn. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    If you keep the grass shorter they will not be so noticeable! But if ou are stressing about them, try the suggestion above re weedkiller. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    What about getting someone in to spray then? A tiny area should only be £20 or so. The dead foliage gets taken away when you mow the grass a couple of weeks later. 
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 189
    I wholeheartedly agree with Hogweed, when mown, it's all green and you won't even notice the weeds. Our environment doesn't need any more chemicals!
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    Don't let them Dandy's go to seed heads or they'll occupy the rest of your garden too.  I use a wilko weed feed an moss killer, but follow instruction properly.