Forum home Plants

What is wrong with this Clematis

GardenSpursGardenSpurs Posts: 70
The leaves of this clematis look healthy but there is something wrong with the flowers, they seem to be all sticky and don't look well at all

• Not a clematis
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Whatever it is, it's covered with greenfly. You need to remove them and gently wash off the sticky stuff and give it a chance to recover. It isn't a clematis but I don't know what it is.
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782
    I had two honeysuckle which were destroyed by aphids last year and I had to pull them out.  They looked like yours.  Every single time a flower appeared - they infested it.  It was the first year that had happened and I was so disappointed at having to pull them out - as nothing worked to get rid of the aphids.  They were also May flowerers - and I lost every flower on both plants which had been beautiful until last year.

Looks like honeysuckle.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,946
    I had one the same - a dark pink flowerer. I pulled it up. Encrusted every year, where other honeysuckles next to it were fine. Not an aphid to be seen.
  • dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 60
    Looks like the flowers on a honeysuckle and what mine looked like 2 years ago when infested with greenfly (although they were black! ) i blasted with water which did nothing to save the beautiful flowers for that year but this year its looking healthy no greenfly invasion yet so I'm hopeful
  • GardenSpursGardenSpurs Posts: 70
    Thanks tO everyone who has offered advice. I will refrain from doing anything drastic like pulling it up just yet. There is hope it will recover as dancindufas has highlighted so fingers crossed. Thanks again
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Good grief! Don't pull anything out because of greenfly! You can: brush them off with your fingers; spray them off with a hose; spray a solution of soap or even buy products which will kill them - though these are better avoided.
  • dancindufasdancindufas Posts: 60
    Someone has posted im pretty sure the same plant as yours only a healthy version in the plant identifier and this is what they were told.  I had thought honeysuckle due ti the flower but i thought the leaves were different to mine but the one on that post looks closer to matching your pic.

It looks like Aesculus pavia rosea nana ...name now changed to.......
    Aesculus pavia Koehnei by some...a dwarf red buckeye.