Forum home Plants

Suggestions for a smallish tree for screening

Rjge.adamsRjge.adams Posts: 8
we are trying to re-do our garden after an extension a few years ago. We have a 90degree angle which takes us onto the side plot. Our main garden is south facing and this bit is west facing. Looking for a smallish tree to give some screening from the house next door.  Nothing too messy but don't want to take the light from the next door, it's going along the fence line. It can be quite windy and soil can get very wet.  I was thinking eucalyptus, a dwarf variety, (inspired by the lady on at Chelsea), but not sure if it would work.  Thank you for any suggestions.  B)
Repurposing as we go, starting with the 14 ft trampoline!

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    edited May 2018
    I can't see the picture very well, but Eucalyptus shrub/trees are useful. It is a plant you will need to manage, and not simply plant and leave alone. 
  • Rjge.adamsRjge.adams Posts: 8
    Thanks for that borderline. I'm fairly good with my pruning, so might give a eucalyptus a go. 
    Repurposing as we go, starting with the 14 ft trampoline!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,408
    You might want to check that it will cope with wet soil - they are Australian after all! You could also look at a tall shrub, which could be pruned into a tree like shape, rather than a tree. An Amelanchier would be lovely but could reach 20 ft I believe.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Amelanchier alnifolia only reaches 6-10 ft, with beautiful white flowers and edible berries.  
    Utah, USA.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Eucalyptus will cope with wet soil. Be careful what variety you get as some just want to go UP and don't look too good when you take the top off as you will. Gunnii however will grow into a nicely shaped tree but does require annual pruning - it can put on 3 feet in a year. 
    I have an Amelanchier lamarkii which I keep to 10 feet. Lovely little tree. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller