Lily beetles -are they seasonal?

B3B3 Posts: 9,167
I haven't seen any for a few weeks now.  Have I been lucky or are they a seasonal pest?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,765
    I spotted a few today and they were quickly dispatched. It's the first time I've had them here - been growing various lilies for about four years in this garden.
    Used to have lilies in a previous garden too, but rarely had lily beetles there either. Perhaps they don't cope with our weather too well. 

If you got rid of the ones you had, you possibly won't have any more this year, but it pays to keep a watch out.  :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• B3B3 Posts: 9,167
    I go on patrol every morning. I almost wish l saw one to make it worth while - but not quite!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 165
    I've had them for a few weeks now. Squashed about 15 (East Anglia).
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,866
    Have you ever heard how they squeak? If you pick them up and hold them close to your ear you'll hear it. 
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,331
    I have an old tin in a discrete corner of the border so I can grab that when I see one.  I collect the vine weevils and drown them. If you put a small amount of washing up liquid in the tin they sink fairly quickly.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• micearguersmicearguers Posts: 165
    I should have added that it makes me a bit sad doing that. But it's either that or stop growing lilies. Otherwise there are very few creatures coming to harm. Annoyingly slugs have taken a shine to the lilies as well. I offered them beer, but three still sat perched on top of a lily. They were lucky - over the fence into the scrubland.
  • This is quite hilarious to me now.

I've, for the first time, planted a few lilies a few weeks back. Yesterday I noticed these very cool awesome bright red beetles, which of two were mating.

Just spotted this thread, scratched my head a little, did a google search and now I'm panicking about my lily's  :'( :D  

• I even tried to take a decent photo of them because I thought they looked that great :D ...but my phone wouldn’t focus on them :(
  • SonnieBSonnieB ROMFORD, Essex Posts: 69
    They are lethal, they destroyed my lillies year before last.  If you look under the leaves you will see a black sticky blobs.  Cant remember if that's the eggs or the larva but I would check the leaves every day and remove any beetles and or lavae/eggs.  I also sprayed them with provado bug killer and so far this year I haven't seen any beetles 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,866
    They also nibble your fritillaries. I like them though. I might be one of the only people who grows lilies just to attract the beetles.