Forum home Problem solving

And idea what this is???

Morning all,  hope you're well!

I've recently laid a new lawn in the back garden. On my return from a 2 week holiday, there seems to be several plants growing through the lawn... I'm hoping to identify it and find an easy way to get rid without ruining the lawn itself. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Andy

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    Looks like one of the Equisetums. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Marestail - You need to cut that right down to the ground before it reproduces itself.  No point trying to dig it out as the roots go down for metres and spread wide.  Regular mowing will keep it under control.  The other alternative it to crush the plant to break its surface cell structure and then wipe on a very strong systemic weedkiller, being careful not to get any on the grass.  Glyphosate won't do.  Needs to be something like SBK and you need to leave it uncut for at least 2 weeks so the active ingredients can be transmitted to the roots.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    If you have access to needles the best way is to inject strong weed killer directly into the stem.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    If it's in the lawn just keep mowing it, we should be past the spore phase so it should be ok to add to the compost heap now. The problems will come if it moves to other areas. I just hand weed mine. It doesnt go away but it isnt massively vigourous so it keeps it in check.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Andy135Andy135 Posts: 16
    Hi all,

Just an update on this one - I think the little blighter may have spread to my driveway too - is this the same thing???? Its difficult for me to tell!

Might try Lyns idea of injecting it - but weedkiller doesnt seem to even touch the stuff!

Any other removal ideas appreciated! :smile:

Andy

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    It's been around for so many millenia Andy- that we're fighting a losing battle if it's in the garden!
    You can hoe it regularly if it's in a suitable spot, but often the only answer is weedkiller. I find Resolva the best, but you'd need to keep at it.
    It really depends on how you feel about that, or whether you want to keep working away by hand to get on top of it. In a previous garden, I had membrane in some areas along a fenceline, and we had a huge infestation from the property next door, but it crept under the membrane and popped up at the edges, so it was easier for me to get at. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    If you use weedkiller then (as Obelixx says above) you have to tread on the plant first and grind it into the ground a bit with your boot. This breaks up the coating on the leaves and lets the weedkiller penetrate.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Hi all - hope you are well!

Just wanted to post a quick update in case it helps anybody else out.

I did a bit of research online, and tried all sorts of different weedkiller brands / techniques. The usual suspects (roundup, resolva etc) didnt even make a dent on the Marestail - even after treading on the plant beforehand.

However, what did work wonders was white vinegar and salt (about a 5:1 ratio) applied heavily to the infected area. I think this will only work on patios and driveways (as the vinegar will kill lawns) but within hours the Marestail was wilting, dead in a couple of days and hasn't grown back in the last 4 weeks!

Thanks for all the input - hopefully this will help another poor soul in the battle vs weeds!  B)

Andy

• I hate to p&& on your parade but if I were you I wouldn't crack open the Champagne until you see what happens in Spring. It may just be naturally dying down for Winter. 
    I hope not because if you've found the answer I'll be first to use it.  :)