Forum home Plants

Help choosing a tree

glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
I'm looking for an evergreen to help with screening and add to the feeling of a lovely soft lush back garden. I'm hoping for something that's not too wide at the base, or can be grown with a bare trunk, evergreen, growing to 8-10m or so. Can anyone think of something attractive that fits the bill? It'll be between an ornamental plum and a Pyrus Chanticleer hence I do want it to hold it's cover through winter.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    "Can be grown with a bare trunk"

What do you mean?
  • Sue Wilson2Sue Wilson2 Posts: 16
    Holly? I have several with their lower branches removed 
  • Sue Wilson2Sue Wilson2 Posts: 16
    Though to grow to 8 mts it took 10years! :#
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Fire said:
    "Can be grown with a bare trunk"

What do you mean?
    Few to no low branches
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    Have a look at taxus - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/18001/Taxus-baccata/Details
     It's native to the British Isles so hardy, evergreen and there's one that makes a natural column - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/95998/Taxus-baccata-Fastigiata-(f)/Details  There's a golden form too if you want a lighter green.

Taxus respond well to pruning so you could shape it as you see fit and remove lower branches later on as needed once it's established and growing well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,632
    Evergreen trees are not often that hardy, so you need to check on your area.  Depends on the look you are after but I think Ligustrum Lucidum can go well with the other trees. Small clusters of flowers in summer sometimes followed by black berries. The Tricolour will add light and variation to the area.

Azara Microphylla is another tree if the garden is reasonably sheltered.  It doesn't form a heavy dark canopy. In the winter time, small yellow vanilla scented flowers fill the tree. A lovely elegant tree that can be controlled and prune from early on to create the shape you want. Ideal for small spaces.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Thanks for the input everyone. I did see the chinese privet and wondered if it would work well or not. It seems a bit hard to get though.

I am leaning towards either a 2.5m tree Photinia red robin, or a 12-14cm girth ligustrum japonicum aureum, both which I can get around £120-ish. Both flower well.

I do like the idea of a conifer with sweeping low branches the more I think about it though! Granted, that would take up a bit of garden space in an area the kids like to run around. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.