Forum home Plants

Scotland versus Cannas

hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
Has anyone in Scotland managed to grow cannas successfully? I've tried a few times but just when they get ready to flower, winter arrives! Am trying a dwarf canna this year and have kept it in the greenhouse to see if I can at least persuade it to flower before November!
'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 53,924
    I have hogweed. I have to keep them indoors in winter, but when i had a conservatory, I bought one and that was ideal. It was quite well on before being put outside though. I kept it in a pot - not in the ground.  I also had one or two in my garden round the corner - again, they came into the house for winter, and also went out in big pots for the summer. I tended to forget about them when dormant, and they didn't look like  much by the time it got to about March, but I gave them plenty of tlc once there was a bit of new growth.
    They need a lot of feeding and watering to get them growing well though. Perhaps that could be the reason yours haven't succeeded? The root system gets big very quickly.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,336
    I have certainly seen them looking wonderful, in Inverewe gardens.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Cannas to win 2-1 after extra time ...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    Inverewe has a bit of a microclimate. It is a lot warmer than the rest of Scotland due to the Gulf Stream and they manage to grow a lot of exotics.  Unfortunately I live a long way from there! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 53,924
    I think your conditions might be fairly similar to mine hogweed.  :)
    I always kept mine in as shelterd a position as possible, which was often tricky as the aspect with the best sun, is also in the path of the prevailing wind and rain! 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Cannas to win 2-1 after extra time ...
    Damn! I just knew someone would beat me to it.   
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Cannas to win 2-1 after extra time ...
    Damn! I just knew someone would beat me to it.   
    :wink:
  • Wouldn't happen at rugby mind you.  ;)
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    @Fairygirl. Snap! Although this time I will overwinter it in the greenhouse! And I thought the smaller one might flower sooner! Ever the optimist me!