Forum home Plants

Buddleia wilting after heavy rain

Can anyone help? We have had 4" of rain in a week, and all of my buddleias' new growth is wilting. How do we help the plants recover.... and what IS it?

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Is it drowning? Or has it been battered? I've always considered Buddlejas pretty indestructible!
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    I'm far from an expert but to me it would point towards the drainage not being great perhaps?
  • I would assume drainage as well, since we have clay soil. However..... these plants have been in the same spot for 15 years, and nothing like this has ever happened before. I

Didn't think about being battered by rain+wind.... it's been 3 days since our last rain, and it was brief, but extremely hard downpour. 

Considered herbicide wash down, but the leaves are still green, just hanging over and floppy. Worst damage is new growth, so maybe it IS just battering damage. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    edited May 2018
    Might also be the weight of the water on the leaves and branches doesn't  help, I've had this happen.

When these dry loving plants are grown on moister soil they get a bit sappy with longer, lax growth that with heavy rain tends to droop. 
  • That's fascinating, thanks! I guess this is a wait-and-see situation?