Forum home Plants

Is it too late to plant Crocosmia bulbs ?

UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 187
I planted about 12 a few weeks back and no sighting of any. I dug a couple up from different areas of the garden and they had white spots on them with no sign of any growth.. Do I have a problem and can I plant new ones from the same batch in the same places  ?

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    Are these corms you've been storing? What's the condition of the others "from the same batch"?

Crocosmia are usually pretty bombproof and seem to survive getting dug up and chucked in a corner in my garden.

Do you have a photo of the white spots?
  • UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 187
    They were bought about a month ago and planted out straight away  But on digging them up no development and these sort of mouldy spots on them  Pity I threw them away.  I got them from Farmer Gracy.  Did I dig them up to check too soon ?
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    I've never grown them from dry corms, only gifted clumps straight out of the ground. Not sure how long they should take to get going.

With other dried bulbs I've had, a bit of mould on the outer skin isn't always an issue as long as the bulb is nice and firm, not soft or rotten.

Were they a special variety?
  • UnionworkerukUnionworkeruk Posts: 187
    Nothing special. Just found them on Google as I liked the look of the plant. Do you reckon I could try again now or is it too late for this summer  ? They were firm when planted. Maybe I was expecting too much after just four weeks