Forum home The potting shed

My privacy is valued

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,739
    I wonder if this means I'll stop getting all the plant catalogues? I've been trying to stop junk mail through the post, I've even put a sticker on the door asking the postman to kindly bugger off with his non-addressed flyers but it still keeps piling in.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 6,271
    I have to phone them. This work for a while, but as soon as I order anything, they're back sending catalogues. It does seem hopeless.
  • B3B3 Posts: 12,709
    I keep getting the one on this site. I did the box tick thing days ago
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    You can contact the Mail Preference Service about junk mail but I don't know how effective they are. I'm registered for the Telephone Preference Service but calls still get through especially from overseas call centres. Good luck.
    My main bugbear at the moment is with magazine that are full of advertising leaflets. Gardeners World Mag is one of the worst!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,239
    Mail preference service is rubbish. I went down the line. I then had to fill in a form. They sent me letters to say did I really want to stop them. I replied Yes. It has had no effect whatsoever.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760
    B3 said:
    I keep getting the one on this site. I did the box tick thing days ago
    Ticking the box is only the start of it, you have to tick ‘more options’ I think that’s what it says, if you then scroll down you’ll see all the third party options, and they are all set as on! you need to untick them or high light them as off. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,174
    Now unable to use my Android tablet for the forum as I can't get past the Immediate Media box. Every time I set all the options to inactive and every time I change page it comes back up with all the third party options active again, endless loop. I am fairly tech savvy having used computers since the papertape and punched card era and built my own many times over the years so I have tried every permutation of switch it off and on again (clearing caches, resetting ad blockers etc.) to no avail.
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    I had that problem too this is the first time it hasn't popped up in 24 hours. Don't scroll to quickly down towards the bottom of the posts that seems to trigger it!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,824
    Do you have an automatic cookie block/delete? It uses a cookie to remember not to store your cookies so every time you delete them it turns up again. And then it seems to pop up 4 times in a row before vanishing. (I just got on without it appearing - **said in a whisper in case it suddenly remembers**)

If you go onto the Immediate Media website and try to change your preferences there you do end up in a loop of being sent to a different page but never actually finding the preferences. A bit like phoning a water company "oh you want such and such department - I'll just put you through" ad infinitum.

I suspect it's intended to make you give up and go away
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.