Forum home Plants

Please tell me the name of this tree

Hi.  Can someone tell me the name of this tree please?  They had flowers from April to mid May.  Thanks in advance.  :)

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,718
    edited May 2018
    Would love to see close up of the flowers.
    At first I thought Prunus cerasifera.....cherry plum...but it could equally be  Malus ...apple.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Silver surfer said:
    Would love to see close up of the flowers.
    At first I thought Prunus cerasifera.....cherry plum...but it could equally be  Malus ...apple.
    Thanks.  To me, it looked different from cherries. I have seen many types of cherries in my life, but never seen anything like this before.  Also, do you know more specifically, as there are many kinds of cherry plums? 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    I think it's a crab apple, as Silver Surfer suggested... there are several with that colour of flower and leaf.  Maybe Malus 'Harry Baker'?  It has quite large, red-flushed crab apples which make excellent jelly.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I think it's a crab apple, as Silver Surfer suggested... there are several with that colour of flower and leaf.  Maybe Malus 'Harry Baker'?  It has quite large, red-flushed crab apples which make excellent jelly.   :)
    Thanks. I have been checking on this tree for about 4 years but I have never seen it having any fruits.  I will see what happens this year.  I just did an image search on Google and saw lots of crab apple trees, but none of them quite look like the one I am after.  The tree has soft non-shiny leaves and the flower petals are quite thick. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,901
    Prairie Fire Flowering Crabapple?  The leaves look a bit more matte than other varieties of apple.
    Utah, USA.

Easy way to be 100% sure is to look at the flowers...which is why I asked for a good close up.

There are several  named Malus...apples which have dark leaves.
    The flowers have 5 stigma..female part of the flower...which in the apple form 5 pips.

http://ib.bioninja.com.au/higher-level/topic-9-plant-biology/untitled-3/flower-structure.html

Whilst 

Prunus cerasifera nigra ..has just one stigma which forms a single stone inside a small round fruit.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prunus+cerasifera+nigra&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm0LH5uqDbAhXHAcAKHQ3eBkwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=949

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Prairie Fire Flowering Crabapple?  The leaves look a bit more matte than other varieties of apple.
    The thing is that the tree has never had fruits yet.  I wonder why...  Thanks for your reply.
  • maclean.lucymaclean.lucy Posts: 8
    edited May 2018

Easy way to be 100% sure is to look at the flowers...which is why I asked for a good close up.

There are several  named Malus...apples which have dark leaves.
    The flowers have 5 stigma..female part of the flower...which in the apple form 5 pips.

http://ib.bioninja.com.au/higher-level/topic-9-plant-biology/untitled-3/flower-structure.html

Whilst 

Prunus cerasifera nigra ..has just one stigma which forms a single stone inside a small round fruit.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prunus+cerasifera+nigra&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm0LH5uqDbAhXHAcAKHQ3eBkwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=949

Thank you very much for the detailed information.  These are the best close-up photos.  I went through my album.  The flowers are gone, so I cannot take any more pics.  Please have a look and let me know what you think.  By the way, I am in South Wales, U.K. and this is one of the street trees nearby.  I love this tree and I would like to have one in my garden!

Thank you. 
    We used to live in South Wales.
    I cannot think that the council would plant apple trees...Malus.

I am going with Prunus  cerasifera nigra which is a popular street tree.
    it is a plum tree  (not a cherry)
    Wait until autumn to know for sure.

My pics below show PRUNUS  CERASIFERA  SPRING  GLOW

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thank you. 
    We used to live in South Wales.
    I cannot think that the council would plant apple trees...Malus.

I am going with Prunus  cerasifera nigra which is a popular street tree.
    it is a plum tree  (not a cherry)
    Wait until autumn to know for sure.

My pics below show PRUNUS  CERASIFERA  SPRING  GLOW

Thank you.  I am terribly sorry for my very late reply.  I have had some family issue and did not have time to check this for some time.  I will wait and see what happens to that tree from now on.  At the moment, the leaves are getting darker.  I have never seen any big fruits on this tree.  How big will the fruits be if it is the plum tree you mentioned?  My photos are not very good and you cannot see the close-up of the flowers, but the flowers on this tree look very different from anything I have ever seen.  The flowers look as if they were made of tissues if you know what I mean from those photos? lol