Would any one know what this shrub is?

Hi all, we have just moved into a new house and there are all sorts of interesting stuff growing in the garden, does anyone know what this little beauty is? Thanks for your help. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    It's Potentilla
    SW Scotland
  • Thanks, very much, any tips on pruning?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,660
    In Spring, you an gather it all up, like a pony tail and give it a chop. Let it go and job done.
    You can , of course, cut each stem to get the size and shape you want, but I'd do it in Spring.
    Devon.
  • Thanks again, spring it is then, 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,660
    You could "tidy it up" now if you feel like it's too big , or in the way, but you'll lose flowers, which is kinda the point of potentillas.
    You won't be doing any harm to the plant.
    It looks like a lovely plant to me.
    Devon.
  • Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193
    Yes that’s Potentilla Fruticosa. Lovely plant but very brittle .Easy to look after and years of pleasure.
     Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • Thanks everyone,  I am convinced, ...  it's a keeper, there are flower buds all over it, just waiting to come out, it will look spectacular ...
    Anyway, thanks again to all you gardeners out there, this is a wonderful font of knowledge.
    .... just as an aside ... I tried to move a berberis the other day from the ground to a pot, (very large pot) ... did I do wrong? it looks to be struggling big time although I am watering it each evening, ...  it was planted through terram so there was a little root damage in the digging up ?? ... thoughts