Forum home Plants

Hedging recommendations

Claire204Claire204 Posts: 173
I would like to replace the lavender with a low pretty hedge. Any recommendations on what would be good. We have very free draining soil and it gets lots of sun ☀️ I love red robin but think it would be too big for our little bungalow? 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    lower growing paio roses, would make a nice hedge, but not so ineresting in winter, why do you want to get rid of the lavender?
  • Claire204Claire204 Posts: 173
    I would like something higher and the lavender looks patchy in places, I think I prefer the structured look of a hedge at the front. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Many lower growing Hebes will suit your space. So many styles of leaves and variegated types. Cotton Lavender, Santolina Chamaecyparissus can also be used as a low hedge plant.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904
    Escallonia comes in all shapes and sizes. Nice flowers, very green and shiney.
    I was looking at Escallonia Apple Blossom for an informalish 1m high hedge.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845
    I've seen a large stretch of the red flowering escallonia, which is meant to be tougher.  And it's a great thick well looked after hedge.  Full of birds.  Very attractive.  I have a white flowering one that I'm trying to meld into a hedge, but it looses leaves, and only looks good around now.

I've seen the red flowering type also used in a high hedge.  So it looks pretty versatile.
    My Mum's got a similar front garden, and wants to put in a small hedge.   And had noticed and liked the hebes being used around there (Bognor way).

Which are the toughest hebes?  Mine all just end up leggy, I'm close to giving up on them.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    With Hebes, you really need to keep on top of pruning and shaping every year. They do not do well when cut back hard. The regular pruning will make them more dense and less likely to open up and split open which often leads to drying out and then dying out. If they are leggy, they have may be the bigger leaf variety that can be damaged a bit by exposed areas.

I find Pinguifolia more hardy and best for low hedging look, or as individuals dotted around in a border to add form and evergreen interest between other plants.
    edited May 2018
    Thanks, the pingus are very cute.  I could live with a few of them.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,425
    Spiraea "Gold Flame" makes a pretty little bush, bronzy/pinky/peachy leaves in spring, then pink flowers later, but it is not evergreen and could look a bit bare in the winter.
    It's pretty tough though and doesn't need much looking after, only a light prune now and then.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Claire204Claire204 Posts: 173
    Thank you for all your suggestions will get looking at them.