Forum home The potting shed

What is this??? A bullet?

2»

• allyrlallyrl Posts: 9
    Thanks for your replies everyone, I will update if I get round to getting it looked at in the museum. Although if it turns out to be a plumb line I may be laughed out of the place!  :D
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    With a solid end, and no obvious place for a line.. you've got yourself an unfired bullet slug.  
    Utah, USA.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 142
    Definitelt a bullet and of the type fired by Spitfires and Hurricaines during World War Two. I was a metal detectorist for a while and they do turn up with some regularity. I once found 22 in a line across a field which must have been fired from a plane.
    Luv Dave
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    Wow.. terrifying to imagine.  
    Utah, USA.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    dave125 said:
    Definitelt a bullet and of the type fired by Spitfires and Hurricaines during World War Two. I was a metal detectorist for a while and they do turn up with some regularity. I once found 22 in a line across a field which must have been fired from a plane.
    Luv Dave
    wow, thats quite something 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,666
    dave125 said:
    Luv Dave
    Good info. You've got to wonder what that field did to enrage the pilot though.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 142
    That's nothing - some fields by the local factories are so full of burnt out incendiary bombs (German) and shrapnel and casings from Flak guns (ours) that you can't detect on them and I'm only in Cheshire which wasn't that badly hit.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,540
    Looks like a dibber to me. At least part of it.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).