Forum home Plants

Identify a rose please

Could someone possibly identify this rose for me please?

Also, is it a rambler or a climber and (more importantly) what should I do with it. The little flower buds appear to be growing on shoots of this years growth that have spurred off older growth (does that make sense?)

I cut it back in Autumn/Winter to just a few branches and have pretty much left it to its own devices to gauge whether it was alive or not (I had a few bushes/trees covering half the garden and quite a few bushes were obviously gone, I took a gamble on this one as it looked half decent).

There are not that many flower buds on it, there's a big one and a couple of smaller ones in the close up pic. It's around 1M in height.

Thanks for any advice.

• FireFire Posts: 18,951
    I imagine it will be a lot easier to attempt an ID when the buds open, BG.
  • The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener Posts: 212
    edited May 2018
    @Fire I did wonder.  :blush:  

Thought it might be too late to train it then (assuming that's what I'd have to do anyway).

Was hoping that maybe the leaves would give a clue. Everyday is a school day. :smile:
  • FireFire Posts: 18,951
    Oh, leaves might well be enough of a clue for some on the forum.
  • I found a bud that is starting to open up. Anyone have any idea? 

It's more red than pink, the pic is quite pink I think. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    I would need to see the bloom fully opened, other blooms open, and a better overall picture of the plant, before even taking a guess I'm afraid...  hundreds of red roses out there..  also I cannot enlarge those pictures, or zoom in...  sorry to sound rather blunt, but better photos required really... still, a nice looking rose going on there, I hope it does well for you...
    East Anglia, England
  • Not at all Marlorena.  I'll try and get better pics when more buds open out. Appreciate the response. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    It's not late to tie in/train since you cut it down late last year. As the branches extend in length, you will need to train it as it grows this year.