Forum home Problem solving

Grass help needed please

Hello, I’m a relatively new homeowner and this is the first full summer we’ll be having in our garden. Our grass was fine through winter and then as soon as the sun appeared has turned terrible. We put the turf down last year and turned the garden into a garden from a mound of soil. 

We’ve put seeds down but I’ve seen no improvement. Does anyone have any tips please? 

• Do you have a dog?
    she dogs will do this to grass when they pee.
    you will probably have to reseed the bold patches and make sure you water the seed and the new turf while we have got this hot spell.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,630
    Rake your grass, especially the bald patches and start mowing your lawn on the higher setting. If the patches persist after a few weeks, sprinkle a bit of sieved garden top soil and sow some grass seed over the areas and water in thoroughly. If the weather gets cooler and there has been a fair bit of rain, I recommend you use a garden fork and stab down to create holes. There is a possibility of compacted soil.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,103
    It looks like a new build property,  is it? If so,  there could be builders rubble under the soil.
  • Thanks all for your replies. It is unfortunately a dreaded new build so we had the remove rubble where possible. We don’t have a dog but I did wonder it it was a drainage issue. The garden gets full sun except for the strip down the left. Thanks for your advice Borderline, we will give that a go and see how you get on!
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,898
    Could it be grubs?  Maybe have a dig under the sod in a few spots near the edge of a patch to check?  
    Utah, USA.