Forum home Tools and techniques

Hosepipe

Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031
In hot summers my neighbour tells that she usually leaves her hosepipe on at the tap, but off at the end of the hose as access to the tap is dusty and cobwebby. Same here, but I have always been concerned that something might disconnect and end up with water running all day long.

What do others do?

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,031
    I always turn the tap off, but OH  leaves it on. .........and yes it popped the fixture off the tap.  Luckily we were home. 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,770
    Turn off the tap, every time. Pressure can cause the hose connection to give way and then you waste water and money if you are on a metre.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,925
    Same here for same reasons. 
    Dust and cobwebs can be removed. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,024
    Definitely turn off tap, when I remember!
  • At the allotments you MUST turn off the tap and there's big trouble if you leave a hose unattended.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Turn it off at the tap. High water pressure and forgetfulness has caused "pop off" flooding here before. Not on a water meter, but unnecessary waste, easily avoided by the turn of a tap. 
    Emptying the hose also makes it easier to wind onto its holder.
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    Ditto Kitty2. My hose reel is hidden up a corner so a bit of a pain to trundle off and turn it off. Just in case it blows a joint.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,167
    I turn off the tap except when I am using it for my greenhouse automatic watering, which is only on when I'm away from home so I do worry about what would happen if something sprung a leak. It's been fine so far though.
  • I turn off the tap except when I am using it for my greenhouse automatic watering, which is only on when I'm away from home so I do worry about what would happen if something sprung a leak. It's been fine so far though.
    Couldn't you connect it a water butt instead? Depending on how long you go away for of course.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    "Hose reel"... that's the name I was struggling to remember. Thanks Firecracker 😀.

I had my outdoor tap fitted to the side of the house, making it easier to reach both front and back gardens.
    My "hose reel" is a wall mounted one. Keeps the path a bit tidier.