Forum home Problem solving

Philadelphus virginal - please help me!

theluciblacktheluciblack GuildfordPosts: 38
I bought this as a very small specimen. It grew like mad as soon as I planted it and is still growing. But some of the leaves keep doing this! See pics. I cannot see any beasties and I’ve been watering regularly. There was really hot weather not long after I planted it, don’t know if it could be that? Please help me!! 🙁 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,851
    If there are no visible insects, don't worry about it. In real gardens, a lot of plants have a few blemishes. When it flowers you won't even notice the odd damaged leaf.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • theluciblacktheluciblack GuildfordPosts: 38
    See, I started off with that attitude, but it got worse and worse. You can’t really see all the damaged leaves in the pic of the whole shrub cos most of them are underneath. It’s maybe 30-40% of the shrub 🙁
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,060
    If that was mine - I'd be pretty happy with it!
    As fidget says, shrubs/trees/plants of any kind have bits and bobs that are damaged. Unless they have some obvious pest or disease damaging large parts, there's really nothing to worry about  :)
    It should look good when it flowers too. Really useful shrubs for all sorts of places in borders. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Okay. While waiting for replies I panicked and cut out a load of leaves. Wish I hadn’t now. Oh well. New to this, learning every day! Thank you both so much 🙂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,060
    Don't worry - there's plenty of plant there! It'll recover  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl you have put the smile back on my face, thank you!! 😘
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    Looks ok to me, you can’t expect perfection, gardening rarely works likes that.
    I had a gorgeous one at my last house, watch out, they grow huge. OH wasn’t keen on the smell! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Wowee that is gorgeous!! 😃
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    Thank you, yours will be like that soon.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.