Stella Tree - how to prune

Hi all, 

i have a Stella tree which is looking a little ridiculous. (Pic below - taken early May after its major prune)  

In my no experience of planting anything 8 years ago, I accepted this said tree. 

We planted it in a corner and didn’t prune it really. So we have/had some pretty low branches on the main trunk. I decided this year that I’d lob off two of the main lower branches after it had finished flowering. 

Now I’m stuck contemplating lobbing off remaining lower branch next year. If I do, it will look like a tree with a head and a branch pointing right.... 

is there a way I could encourage the tree to start growing branches in the midriff?! I believe in its earlier years it tried, but those damn aphids got to those buds. I am putting more control on these pests now with garlic/neem oil spray. 

I’ve googled on how to prune it and when, but struggling to find info on how to prune in order to get some fullness in the middle. 

It it would have been more ideal if I’d kept on top of pruning and perhaps fan training instead but it’s a little late for that. 

My dad is suggesting to keep pruning the lower branch but I don’t see the point if I think it’s too low in the first place! 

Any advice on what I could do? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579
    Well, it looks like a fairly typical cherry tree to me.

They are long, lanky things even when they are mature.

I would be reluctant to prune it too much, just cut a bit off the ends if you feel you must do something.

One trick to get side shoots to grow is to make a small cut with a clean sharp knife about 4mm above a dormant bud. That will stop the sap from flowing along the branch and encourage it to flow into the bud. Only do one or two on the tree though.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hi pansyface, 

Thanks for the reply. Aww that’s a shame that it grows like that. 

Thanks for the tip, will give that a go and see how it goes. Can I do this anytime whilst it’s growing? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579
    Yes.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.