Forum home Tools and techniques

Where can I find a good watering can?

triciakatetriciakate DerbyshirePosts: 18
I need a can for watering seed trays, seedlings etc. Where can I look - preferably on-line as I have no faith at all in garden centres - for the kind of can Monty Don uses? I want a fine rose that does not leak water from all round the rose and does not wear out years before the actual can. I have tried various plastic ones but none of them does the job.


  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,859
    Haws make top quality cans. Get the metal ones if you can. I inherited a plastic one from my gran though and it's showing no sign of wear yet. They have useful holders for the spare nozel too.  I also use a Hozelock hand held pump sprayer for seedlings and that works really well for me.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    I would also recommend a Haws. I wouldn't be without mine. However for seedlings I use an empty plastic juice bottle or a milk bottle with holes in the lid. Use a needle or something to make several small holes then squeeze it over the seeds. This stops them  flattening when they are still small. When they are robust the Haws rose turned upwards takes over.
    SW Scotland
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Ive got a Haws plastic one, not cheap but it’s lasted me several years and is still in perfect nick 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    One more vote for Haws - I've had my two metal ones for 30+ years. Still as good as new.
Sign In or Register to comment.