Forum home Plants

Iris Bold Print here today ang gone the day after tomorrow?

l bought three of these stunning irises as small plants last year. Unfortunately the leaves were nibbled extensively earlier this month by an army of tiny black slugs. Still, two stems with 3 buds each appeared almost overnight.  When the top flowers opened the day before yesterday I was very excited because they looked stunning. But today they have decided to shut up shop and slowly shrivel. Do all bearded irises behave like this, or is it me?  Also various websites say they make very good cut flowers. They have to be joking, don’t they?  Any advice would be very welcome!

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    Agree entirely ; I've never rated bearded Irises for that reason .

Yet another over-rated plant are Paeonies ; flower for about one-week out of fifty-two ; waste of border space in my opinion .
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,421
    What gorgeous flowers! shame they didn't last long though. At a guess I would say it's the recent very hot weather that's made them shrivel, they should last longer than that
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • FireFire Posts: 18,983
    The second is a fabulous picture. I love the detailing.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    I'm a big iris fan but bearded are admittedly too quickly over. Yours are gorgeous so its a real shame its so quickly finished.

I grow various types of iris throughout the year. Iris reticulata are lovely in very early spring and the flowers last, also iris sibirica and hollandica. These all have much longer lasting flowers.