cardinal flower Lobelia cardinalis. Pots, ponds or gardens ?

Why am I always reading on line that these have to be planted out in garden soil as soon as possible although they are sold in aquatic pots for ponds ?  Seems a bit contradictory. What happens if I leave them in the pond ?

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    I think the confusion maybe be the words ‘planted out’. In the case of pond plants it means planted out in the pond as soon as possible. It’s just a general term meaning don’t leave it in a carrier bag in the car boot for several days more than specific advice I think 
  • I grew this last year. I got it with Purple Loosestrife, which as you say were in the pond plant section but identified as marginals, i.e. grown on the shallow edge of the pond. I grew them in a bed and they both did fine (Loosestrife is racing away again this year but I'm not keeping the Cardinal Flower - just because it wasn't such a pollinator magnet), but I made sure to give them a regular thorough watering.

I think they mainly like to have wet feet (i.e. they're marshy type plants that are happy with their roots being constantly or at least consistently damp). So the most important thing seems to be as Jellyfire says to keep them well watered and don't let them sit too long in the pot to dry out.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,980
    Yes - they like a nice damp soil if they're in a garden situation, but also thrive as a marginal pond plant.
    I gave up on them - slug fodder the instant they poked their heads up out the ground...
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Thanks for all the advice.  I bought three 2l plants so will now keep two in the pond (old bath) and plant one in soil and see how they get on by the end of autumn.   
  • It is now autumn and I left all three in the pond. They all flowered and have grown to over 1 metre in height. Now for the winter.  The usual conflicting advice. To prune or not prune, to cut back to 50cm, to leave where they are  to bring inside. to cover in bark, to plant in soil.etc.

I would appreciate any further advice you can give  Thanks  
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,565
    Fairygirl said:
    Yes - they like a nice damp soil if they're in a garden situation, but also thrive as a marginal pond plant.
    I gave up on them - slug fodder the instant they poked their heads up out the ground...
    I agree about " slug fodder".6 x  L.C. Queen Victoria gone in no time, but 6 x L.C. Russian Princess, planted on the same day, ignored by them completely. Most odd.
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,831
    I have found exactly the same Hosta. I have a few of Russian Princess Lobelias and they are always fine, but when I have grown Q.V., it always gets eaten.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,565
    punkdoc said:
    I have found exactly the same Hosta. I have a few of Russian Princess Lobelias and they are always fine, but when I have grown Q.V., it always gets eaten.
    Any ideas why that should be?
    Devon.